An article was published today following a national survey of how New Zealanders felt about our waterways (read the full report here: http://goo.gl/IRtmg3). Admittedly, the survey was aimed at people who are interested in fresh water fisheries – trout, salmon, and game bird hunting (it was initiated by Fish & Game), it turns out that 9 out of 10 respondents wanted to have swimmable, clean waterways, and 70% believed that the expansion of dairy farming has degraded our waterways. I am not really surprised by that, I mean, who really wants to go for a fish or a picnic in /near a filthy cow pooped stream?
We have a lot of rivers in New Zealand, which is pretty neat, so neat in fact that when you make a map of all of the rivers in New Zealand, it resembles, well, New Zealand. I made a map to show you:
The spatial extent alone makes me think that if over 52% of our waterways are contaminated, we are in trouble and we desperately need stronger legislation and action to protect the other 48% before it’s too late. Apparently, the majority of New Zealanders agree.
It’s Seaweek 2014!
A celebration of our oceans and coastlines, raising awareness of issues, learning and highlighting all things seaie, brilliant! It is also the perfect opportunity to get involved at a policy level, reconnect with the oceans and your environment (especially if you live in the Hauraki Gulf region)
let me tell you……
have your say about the Hauraki Gulf, what’s important to you, and what you would like the region to look like in the future by doing out this fantastic survey by @Rebecca_Jarvis, a Ph.D student tackling the sticky end of conservation – people! It’s a great way to procrastinate from office work for a few minutes, and you’ll feel like you have been productive and a contributing member of society. Win. WIN.
I have a really big problem with something.
They’re everywhere, single use plastic bags for putting your already thrice packaged product in. The average time that a single plastic bag is used for is 12 minutes. I repeat 12 minutes. As a seabird island ecologist, I get to see first hand the environmental impact of plastic pollution on wildlife. As a city dweller I see it everyday on my walks around my concrete jungle. The anger and frustration about these inanimate death chambers, which are completely unnecessary, continues to erode my heart.
The problem seems to be so mammoth, it’s difficult to know where to begin to try and stem the prolific usage. After hearing about the growing number of cities and countries around the world taking action to stem the flow of these plastic parasites into the environment, I decided to take action. Armchair action maybe, but I hear it can work, if done properly. So, here it is, my first foray into blogging, and petition making, all in the same week……..
Go on, give a girl a little support, and let’s ban plastic bags in Auckland……..
P.S. Here is a bit of MUSICAL inspiration for ya’ll ……… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koETnR0NgLY